Established 59 years ago in 1958 by Ethel Percy Andrus who is a Ph.D. and a retired academician belonging to California and Leonard Davis; the American Association of Retired Persons (The former name) or simply AARP Incorporation, is an Interest Group that is based in the United States of America. Leonard Davis is later known to have founded the Colonial Penn Group, a set of insurance Companies. AARP’s headquarters are situated in Washington, D.C, the capital city of United States. Jo Ann Jenkins is the chief Executive Officer, Eric J. Schneidewind is the President and Joan R. Ruff is the Chair of Board for the AARP. Inc. The group functions with the motto, ‘Real Possibilities’. More than 37,000,000 people have an AARP Membership and the group works with a staff of around 2000 people and has up to 17,499 volunteers. AARP generates a revenue of at least $1,486,310 yearly.
Being a non-profit organization, AARP works with a mission that is to make sure that all their members have increasingly better quality life as they age. It is a 501c4 Non-Profit Org. AARP strives to mediate and propagate a well-meaning social change within the society and it believes in delivering value and virtue by providing with information and good services to all its members. AARP has always had a great influence on all its members and has created a lot of positive change within them and hence is considered one of the strongest lobbying interest groups in the United States of America.
AARP generally holds an exceedingly immense membership and hence, generating an income of its own without having to be dependent on Government or Private Donors is quite easy. Despite its independent structure, the Government and certain Private Organizations do tend to give out funds to AARP occasionally for some of their programs. Some of these sources of income are the commercial providers of certain products, services, goods, and discounts who pay for AARP’s intellectual property such as its name, its logo and so on. AARP gets about $838,649,000 from these commercial donors. They also get as much as $295,180,000 just from their vast membership dues. And they also get at least $150,000,000 for advertisements that it publishes on its various publications.
AARP is known for its profound charity work, quality services and health-care. It achieves all these virtues by providing services through several of their affiliated organizations. They are;
- AARP Insurance Plan: The AARP Insurance Plan Organization that is responsible for holding or conducting many of AARP’s Interest Group, Health Insurance Policies.
- AARP Foundation: AARP Foundation Organization is yet another non-profit organization that is responsible for helping people who are over fifty years of age and face certain types of social or economic crisis.
- AARP Financial Services Incorporation: The AARC Financial Services Inc. is a for-profit organization that is responsible for handling AARP’s Real Estate matters.
- AARP Experience Corps: AARP Ex[erience Corps is yet another Not for Profit Organization which is mostly a Charity Organization that is known to encourage and look after people who are over fifty years of age and are also responsible for tutoring school going kids.
- Legal Counsel for the Elderly: Legal Counsel for the Elderly is again a Not for Profit Charity Organization that is responsible for providing legal assistance to Senior Citizens in Washington D.C. at extremely low or sometimes no cost.
- AARP Services Incorporation: AARP Services Inc. is a For-Profit organization that is responsible for providing quality control and holds several research programs.
- AARP Institute: The AARP Institute is also a Non-Profit Charity organization that is responsible for conducting a few of AARP’s Charitable funds of Charitable Gift Annuity.
AARP’s Member Benefits
AARP Generally tends mostly to people who are elderly and are retired. After working all their lives in various occupations, AARP believes that they deserve certain advantages of their own. It provides its members with several benefits. They include;
- Discounts: AARP Provides members discounts on charges and batteries that are used monthly, on security systems and home monitoring, discounts for over 4,000 hotels all over the world, and discounts on annual Zipcar memberships.
- Insurance: AARP Provides its members with several insurance benefits such as Auto Insurance, Mobile Home Insurance and something called HomeServe that will help the members with problems such as plumbing, electricity, heating or cooling etc.
- Financial: AARP Provides its members with certain credit cards that can be used to get cash back when they visit gas stations or restaurants. They also help with College Savings and Pet Insurance.
- Health Products: AARP has an affiliation with Walgreens that provides health products and members who make use of some of them can earn points on their membership with AARP. Staying Sharp and Pearle Vision are some other brands that AARP affiliates itself with and provides benefits to members through it.
- Travel: AARP Provides its members with comfortable inns at affordable discount rates, it also provides discount Collette Vacations for certain tours and also provides a discount for Day Inns whenever the member wants to take a small vacation.
- Automotive: AARP Provides its members with Roadside assistance when stranded, Motorcycle Insurance and also something called AARP Auto, that will provide service automotive tools for auto needs.
- Memberships: An AARP Membership can provide a person with all the benefits mentioned above, so it should be considered as the biggest benefit AARP can provide.
AARP also gives tips and information along with benefits to retired persons who are members. They help them understand ways to retire just on social security and also give them tips to do the same on their official website. A member can check them out. They clear out myths that surround social security and make people aware of what it actually is. It also creates discussions on Social Security and IRS and clears the air about how the two work together. AARP also helps and gives away useful information about how to retire and make full and beneficial use of it.
An AARP Membership
A Person willing to join AARP and become a member must follow three simple steps for the same. The first step is to apply, this is known as the Application Step. The person will be required to provide certain information about himself or herself. The information required will be the person’s first name, middle name and last name. Then, the person must fill in his or her date of birth accordingly. Then, the person must provide with two addresses, the second one is optional. He or she must them provide information regarding their city, state or province, postal or zip code and the country. Then, his or her email ID. If they want, they can also provide information regarding their spouse. His or her first name, middle name, and last name. Then the person must choose a membership fee option. A membership of 5 years for $63, a membership of 3 years for $43 and a membership of a year for $16. After choosing one, he or she must click on continue application.
The Second and Third steps are Billing and Confirmation. Based on the Membership option chosen he or she must make the required payment and wait for the verification via their email. Then the membership will be confirmed via the Email again. A member can savor several AARP benefits such as their exclusive magazines, discounts on several amenities, information regarding medicare, health care, and social security and so on.
AARP Register or Login
To Register for AARP organization, a person must first enter their email ID and then confirm it and then create a password based on the rules and then confirm it as well. After that, the person will be asked to fill in certain personal information about himself or herself. Information such as, First Name, Last Name, Country, Zip Code, Birth date, and must finally type in a security code for security reasons. After that, they must agree to AARP’s terms and conditions and then REGISTER. A confirmation will be waiting for them on their email. A member can also register via their social networking sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Linkedin, Yahoo! and Aol.
After the registration, AARP Login is fairly simple and well known. The member has to just type in his Email Address and Password and LOG IN. AARP registry lets members play online games and store and share photographs.
AARP Membership Renewal
For renewal of membership, a person must follow four simple steps. The first step is called, Find your Record, for this the member must enter their Birth Date first in the order it is asked for and then their first name and last name. Then he or she should enter the zip code of their location and select the country they are from. Then click on continue renewal information. What follows next is the same that a person follows to become a member of AARP. He or she must give in their basic personal details such as first name, last name, birthday, address, city or province, city zip code, country and then choose a membership they would like to go for. Then they are required to pay the bill and wait for the renewal confirmation.